April has been billed as Stress Awareness Month ever since 1992. As well as pressing pause in my previous post, I’m continually on the lookout for ways to combat stress. This in mind, I’ve teamed up with The Power Yoga Company to bring you one of their easy yoga poses.
A move enabling you to mediate from a comfortable position, thus inviting calming and tranquility, over to The Power Yoga Company to offer you their step-by-step beginners guide:
Sukhasana (easy pose) – All the other yoga postures are leading us to Sukhasana, enabling us to meditate in a comfortable seat.
- Sit with the legs straight in front of the body
- Bend one leg and place the foot under the opposite thigh
- Bend the other leg and place the foot under the opposite thigh
- Rest the hands on the knees, or connect the index finger and thumb
- Keep the head, neck and back upright and straight, but without strain
- Close the eyes
- Relax the whole body. The arms should be relaxed and not held straight
Sukhasana is the easiest and most comfortable of the meditation postures. It facilitates mental and physical balance without causing strain or pain.
Research on meditation:
The practice of meditation has been around for thousands of years but it is gaining interest primarily because we now have the ability to do the one thing that was never possible before- see how these practices change the wiring and the makeup of our brains.
New research suggests meditation can help us in a number of ways. From physical benefits like reducing heart rate to cognitive benefits like increasing working memory, there are many ways in which a meditation practice can have a powerful effect on our lives.
- Stress less
- Sleep better
- Happier, healthier relationships
- Manage anxiety
- Sharpen concentration
- Strengthens immune system
- Increases emotional resilience
Find out more at thepoweryogaco.com